True to our Alkmaar roots we are THE supplier of the the Alkmaar flag. The Alkmaar flag is made exclusively for us in large quantities. Available in 3 sizes:
- 30cm x 45cm – best for boats, caravans, bikes, and parade.
- 100cm x 150cm – for displaying outside one’s home
- 150cm x 225cm – intended for flagpoles
This is the official flag of the city of Alkmaar. The flag consists of three white and three red stripes, and includes the city’s castle. The colours of the flag are also used for the city’s football team. The flag is also used on festive occasions.
The Alkmaar flag is an excellent gift. For example, for people who are new to Alkmaar, or are moving away from Alkmaar. It also makes for a good birthday or Christmas present.
The flag is widely used on 8th October, the anniversary of the Siege of Alkmaar. In 1573 the Spanish sought to take Alkmaar. The Dutch fought back with boiling tar and burning tree branches from the city wall against the Spanish at Oudorp. Don Frederik’s retreat from Oudorp meant victory for Alkmaar.
On 11th June 1254, Alkmaar received city rights and the flag that is still used today. Alkmaar celebrated its 750th Anniversary in 2004.
Uses for the flag:
- The small flag (30cm x 45cm) is often used on some smaller boats and barges in Alkmaar.
- Can be displayed on a caravan or at a campsite.
- The path of the annual Wandelvierdaagse (a 4-day walking event in Alkmaar) is decorated with these flags.